- Any current public, private, or home school is welcome to participate. The National Science Bowl is a school-based competition. Teams of home-schooled students will be considered to belong to a school as long as they are part of an official home school association. No new club teams will be approved. No more than 3 teams from one school or student group may compete in a regional event. The high school science bowl is for current ninth through twelfth grade students. The middle school science bowl is for current sixth through eighth grade students. Coaches must be approved by the schools their teams represent.
Teams must be composed of 4 to 5 students. Four students must complete at all times during the tournament. A fifth student may be a team member and used as an alternate. These students must be listed on the registration materials submitted by the registration deadline. Students may not rotate or serve as alternates among or within different teams from the same school or group. In case of illness, contact the MN Academy of Science staff for approval of substitutions. Team rosters may not change after check-in on the day of the event.
- Register your team for the Minnesota State Regional Science Bowl tournament via the National Science Bowl web site accessed through the menu bar on the left.
- Read the official rules on the web site and review with your students.
- Work with your students to study, read the helpful hints and strategies for success and practice answering the sample questions on the web site.
- Encourage your students to get a good night's sleep and eat a hardy breakfast the day of the tournament.
- Have fun and enjoy the tournament. Make a concerted effort to meet the scientists at the tournament.
- If your team wins, complete all of the forms required for participation in National Science Bowl and return promptly to:
Minnesota Academy of Science
970 Raymond Avenue, Suite 103
St. Paul, MN 55114