Who can be on a Science Bowl team?
Any current public, private, or home school is welcome to participate. Teams of home-schooled students will be considered to belong to a school as long as they are part of an official home school association.
No new club teams will be approved.
No more than 3 teams from one school may compete in a regional event.
The high school science bowl is for student in grades 9-12. The middle school science bowl is for students in grades 6-8.
Four students must compete at all times during the tournament. A fifth student may be a team member and used as an alternate. Alternates must be listed on the registration materials submitted by the registration deadline. Students may not rotate or serve as alternates among or within different teams from the same school or group. In case of illness, contact the MN Academy of Science staff for approval of substitutions. Team rosters may not change after check-in on the day of the event.
What do I need to do to participate in Science Bowl?
- Form a team of 4 students or 5 students (with alternate).
- Find a coach. Coaches must be approved by the schools their teams represent.
- Encourage your coach to register the team for the Minnesota State Regional Science Bowl tournament.
- Read the official rules.
- Study and practice answering the sample questions, helpful hints and strategies for success.
- Get a good night's sleep and eat a hardy breakfast the day of the tournament.
- Have fun and enjoy the tournament. Make a concerted effort to meet the scientists at the tournament.
- Properly thank your coach after the event.
- If your team wins, work with your coach to make sure all National Science Bowl forms are complete.